courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I'm having the same problem on two separate automobiles! I have an '87 BMW, and the power windows just stopped operating this morning. It's been raining a lot, but I try to avoid big puddles and things of that nature. Is this going to be an expensive job?
I also have a Ford Ranger that is having a window problem, too. The driver's side window will not roll down. It does not have power windows, but the window-roller-upper doesn't seem to catch. Are these things that I can fix myself, or do I either need to shell out the big bucks on a mechanic or the air conditioner?
P.S. I love your column! I'm glad that there's someone out there that isn't just after my (and everyone else's) hard-earned money!
Well, on either car you are going to have to take the door panel off and see what the story is. On the car with manual windows, there might be something jammed up in there or it might just need a lube job. As for the car with power windows, you need to see if there is voltage at the motor. If there is, then the motor is shot. If not, then the problem is in the wiring or the switch.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Experts guide to line drying clothes
- How to decorate your patio inexpensively
- Organic weed control guide
- Buying furniture from the manufacturer
- Moving on a dime
- Homemade room and fabric deodorizers
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?