courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My 85 Honda Civic with 177,000 has developed an intermittent chirping sound that seems to be coming from the steering column. I don't have power steering. It has gotten progressively more noticeable over the past month. Sometimes it is not there when I start a trip - but inevitably appears. any ideas? Do you think this could wait until the next oil change, or should I get it looked at now It's running OK.
Is it a chirping sound from the steering column or from the dash board? I bet that it is the speedometer cable that is making the noise. Basically it needs a lube job!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?