A Sometimes Wiped Windshield
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My mom has a '88 Beretta. The problem is when it rains the wipers don't always work. Let me explain. Sometimes they work fine. Other times they seem to get off timing, they start to hit each other. And still other times the drivers side wiper goes off the edge of the windshield we have to lower the window to put it back on the windshield. Is it a motor that operates the wipers that has gone bad or what?
No, the problem is with the linkage. There is only one motor that drive both wipers. They are connected with a series of levers and linkages. One of them is probably slipping causing your loss of timing. They are located in the engine compartment under the hood near the fire wall. Sometimes they are in a special compartment. But, you can usually see them. As to the repair, first, see where it is loose. If it can be tightened, great. If not, then I suggest a junk yard for parts. The dealer will be way too expensive.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?