5,000 Mile Maintenance
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently returned from a long-distance marathon from Southern California to Vancouver, Canada; from Vancouver to Prince Rupert, Canada; and then all the way back again. Since departing I have added over 5,000 miles on my car. Should I go in for a tune-up?
I am also hearing a squeaking sound from the brakes, but it is only apparent when I am traveling at very low speeds (ie. braking in order to come to a stop after having geared down to 2nd.). What are the possible problems, and solutions? Please be detailed as to type of parts or instruments that I should buy, their average prices, and what I would need to install them etc. I am a big fan of 'doing it yourself'.
That sound you are hearing from your brakes at low speeds is the warning indicator. Basically it is a soft piece of metal designed to make this horrendous squeak when the pads are low. As far as if a tune up is needed, not unless the total mileage is at the correct interval. I would however, change the oil.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?