courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a question about warming up the truck in the morning when it's cold. My husband told me that it should warm up for 15 min and that's it. I understand about the moisture in the muffler and tail pipe but is this really necessary? I know he is taking good care of his truck but I think this is excessive. He wants the heater to be warm before he leaves the driveway. Could you please help me?
I have owned Ford trucks since '83. Now, what I recommend is just to wait till the engine comes down from high idle to normal idle. Just watch the tachometer. When you start it, it will be around 1000-1500 RPMs. Then it will drop to 750-1000. After this, the engine is sufficiently warm and you're on your way. Fifteen minutes is far too long unless he does not like to get into a cold truck. I don't either, but that's just me. But still, I don't wait more than 3-4 minutes before I go. Some people say, just start, wait 15 seconds and go. I think that is much too short and 15 minutes is way too long. Get my point?
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?