About Gardening: Ridding Your Lawn of Moss
by Mira Dessy
The lawns in our area are being inundated by moss this year. Do you have any good ideas for getting rid of the pest?
Moss usually makes an appearance in a lawn when the conditions are right for it to grow and propigate. Basically this means that the soil does not have good drainage and that there may be a lack of nutrients in it or that the soil has become extremely acidic. Moss spreads by spores so there is no quick answer to get rid of it. However, the long term solution is to improve the drainage in the lawn (probably simple aeration will work - walk around in cleats for a while), you also need to fertilize the lawn regularly to return nutrients to the soil and encourage grass growth. It also wouldn't hurt to add a little lime to your lawn in order to reverse the acidity.
You don't mention how pervasive it has become but if the patches are big enough you could try digging them up, putting in good topsoil and then planting grass seed. This will not help for the spores that have not yet germinated, but it should at least cut down on the moss patches that could proliferate this year.
Hope this helps.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?