GMC 2 Barrel
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1982 GMC with a 2.8 two barrel and in the mornings it does not want to start. It is getting enough fuel and is getting spark. I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get it started which is then making it back fire. Once I get it running it runs fine. When I get off work in the afternoons it will start up just fine, this is only happening in the mornings. I have only 4,000 miles on it since the last tune-up. I know that the choke-plate is closing. I believe in preventative maintenance, I take care of the vehicle and keep everything well taken care of and maintained before the things get bad. Could it be the electric choke? Please give me any suggestions.
There are a bunch of those 2.8 2 barrels out there and they all have that trouble. Those carbs are just not worth a buck. Try getting a re-building kit or maybe a replacement. If you are going to rebuild it, then I would suggest getting one from a junk yard or something then rebuild that one. This way, you can still use your car.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Take the Next Step:
- Visit the Automobile section of The Dollar Stretcher library.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?