About Gardening: Bamboo Trees
by Mira Dessy
There was a letter in this weeks Dollar Stretcher referencing bamboo trees. My husband wants to plant bamboo trees in our back yard, but I wonder where you buy them, hw easy they are to grow, and if there are any varieties that would grow in central (lower peninsula) Michigan.
You should be able to get bamboo from any good nursery source in your area. They would also be most likely to carry the type of bamboo that will do well for you. Bamboo will definitely grow in your area (it gets VERY cold in China in the mountains).
One big word of caution. Bamboo can become a weed. If you are going to plant it in the ground rather than in a pot you need to dig a trench and put some sort of border in to keep the bamboo from spreading. Bamboo can become extremely invasive and is virtually impossible to get rid of.
If you can't find any at nurseries in your area, they should be able to direct you to mail order sources that can get it for you.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.