About Gardening: Bamboo Trees
by Mira Dessy
There was a letter in this weeks Dollar Stretcher referencing bamboo trees. My husband wants to plant bamboo trees in our back yard, but I wonder where you buy them, hw easy they are to grow, and if there are any varieties that would grow in central (lower peninsula) Michigan.
You should be able to get bamboo from any good nursery source in your area. They would also be most likely to carry the type of bamboo that will do well for you. Bamboo will definitely grow in your area (it gets VERY cold in China in the mountains).
One big word of caution. Bamboo can become a weed. If you are going to plant it in the ground rather than in a pot you need to dig a trench and put some sort of border in to keep the bamboo from spreading. Bamboo can become extremely invasive and is virtually impossible to get rid of.
If you can't find any at nurseries in your area, they should be able to direct you to mail order sources that can get it for you.
Also in Home
- Cleaning coffee stains on carpeting
- Is it a DIY job? How to tell
- Don't kill your small engine!
- Choosing a new freezer
- Laundry the old-fashioned way
- Applying engineering techniques to pesky household problems
- 25 tips and tricks for an organized move
- Tiling a shower stall
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?