About Gardening: Bamboo Trees
by Mira Dessy
There was a letter in this weeks Dollar Stretcher referencing bamboo trees. My husband wants to plant bamboo trees in our back yard, but I wonder where you buy them, hw easy they are to grow, and if there are any varieties that would grow in central (lower peninsula) Michigan.
You should be able to get bamboo from any good nursery source in your area. They would also be most likely to carry the type of bamboo that will do well for you. Bamboo will definitely grow in your area (it gets VERY cold in China in the mountains).
One big word of caution. Bamboo can become a weed. If you are going to plant it in the ground rather than in a pot you need to dig a trench and put some sort of border in to keep the bamboo from spreading. Bamboo can become extremely invasive and is virtually impossible to get rid of.
If you can't find any at nurseries in your area, they should be able to direct you to mail order sources that can get it for you.
Also in Home
- Keep dogs out of your flower beds naturally Slideshow
- 11 carpet hacks
- How to clean a stained smooth cooktop
- How mower maintainance could save you money
- 6 reasons to plant a tree
- Turning a garage into a family room
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?