Oxygen Sensor Replacement
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just took my 1990 Buick LeSabre to the shop and the diagnostics performes there discovered that the oxigen sensor would need to be replaced sometime in the near future. I have never heard of this oxigen sensor before and my father-in-law, who knows quite a bit about cars, also had never heard about it before. The mechanic said it affects the car's gas mileage. Anyway, I decided to hold off doing anything about it until I could get more information. How quickly does this device deteriorate?? Should I be concerned?
Mariano in Hoffman Estates, IL
Sorry to say, but if your father in law does not know what an oxygen sensor is, then he really doesnt know anything about modern cars... You see, this sensor is the key element in how your car will run... It senses how the engine is performing and tells the computer, which in turns modifies how the engine is controlled. If you continue to run with bad oxygen sensors (EGO) then the catalytic converters will be damaged and they are expensive to replace.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?