Oxygen Sensor Replacement
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just took my 1990 Buick LeSabre to the shop and the diagnostics performes there discovered that the oxigen sensor would need to be replaced sometime in the near future. I have never heard of this oxigen sensor before and my father-in-law, who knows quite a bit about cars, also had never heard about it before. The mechanic said it affects the car's gas mileage. Anyway, I decided to hold off doing anything about it until I could get more information. How quickly does this device deteriorate?? Should I be concerned?
Mariano in Hoffman Estates, IL
Sorry to say, but if your father in law does not know what an oxygen sensor is, then he really doesnt know anything about modern cars... You see, this sensor is the key element in how your car will run... It senses how the engine is performing and tells the computer, which in turns modifies how the engine is controlled. If you continue to run with bad oxygen sensors (EGO) then the catalytic converters will be damaged and they are expensive to replace.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?