About Gardening: Preserving Flowers
by Mira Dessy
Got your name from the doller stretcher and would like to know if you have any information on "crystalizing flowers" with alum. Somewhere I read an article (which I can't find) that you could place fresh flowers in a vase of water and alum, the flowers would soak up the liquid and crystalize after which they could be put in boquets and kept for months as dried (crystalized) flowers. I have used all the search engines to no avail, so I would appreciate any help you could give.
I have heard of preserving flowers in alum, but I have never really heard of the method that you would use. I suppose you could try putting them into a solution of alum and see if that works. Another way I have heard to preserve flowers is to put cornmeal and borax (50% of each) in a shoebox, put in the flowers, gently top with more cornmeal and borax and then let sit for a while in a cool dark place. The cornmeal and borax remove the moisture from the flowers and because they are laying down in the middle of the mixture, they stand straight and the petals are preserved nicely. I'd be interested to know what happens with the alum solution.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?