About Gardening: Preserving Flowers
by Mira Dessy
Got your name from the doller stretcher and would like to know if you have any information on "crystalizing flowers" with alum. Somewhere I read an article (which I can't find) that you could place fresh flowers in a vase of water and alum, the flowers would soak up the liquid and crystalize after which they could be put in boquets and kept for months as dried (crystalized) flowers. I have used all the search engines to no avail, so I would appreciate any help you could give.
I have heard of preserving flowers in alum, but I have never really heard of the method that you would use. I suppose you could try putting them into a solution of alum and see if that works. Another way I have heard to preserve flowers is to put cornmeal and borax (50% of each) in a shoebox, put in the flowers, gently top with more cornmeal and borax and then let sit for a while in a cool dark place. The cornmeal and borax remove the moisture from the flowers and because they are laying down in the middle of the mixture, they stand straight and the petals are preserved nicely. I'd be interested to know what happens with the alum solution.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?