About Gardening: Seeds for the Novice Gardener
by Mira Dessy
Do you have any suggestions for the novice gardener on what types of plants are best suited to grow from seeds in the house? Are there any sure wins?
The only sure win is probably zucchini. The stuff will grow just about anywhere. As to other plants, it depends on whether you provide the right growing conditions (plenty of light, good soil) and whether you care for them properly (not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry). I think the best thing for new gardeners to start with (I did many years ago) are things like zucchini, beans, tomatoes, green peppers, marigolds (great in the vegetable garden for color and as a helper against some pests). You don't want to start with too many different things because then you might feel overwhelmed. So try those and then do some things that can be direct sown in the garden, nasturtiums, lettuce, corn, peas.
Each year that you garden will be a learning experience. Start small and then make notes. What worked, what didn't, what did your family like? What will you never grow again? Plus, keeping a garden journal will allow you to mark down your progress as a gardener; it's fun to look back over what you did and what you learned. Best of luck to you!
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- How to build a contemporary outdoor fireplace
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Tips for taking in a renter
- How little things can make your décor pop
- Building a winter green house
- A natural approach to eliminating pet odors
- Cost-effective solutions to rid your home of black snakes
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?