About Gardening: Seeds for the Novice Gardener
by Mira Dessy
Do you have any suggestions for the novice gardener on what types of plants are best suited to grow from seeds in the house? Are there any sure wins?
The only sure win is probably zucchini. The stuff will grow just about anywhere. As to other plants, it depends on whether you provide the right growing conditions (plenty of light, good soil) and whether you care for them properly (not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry). I think the best thing for new gardeners to start with (I did many years ago) are things like zucchini, beans, tomatoes, green peppers, marigolds (great in the vegetable garden for color and as a helper against some pests). You don't want to start with too many different things because then you might feel overwhelmed. So try those and then do some things that can be direct sown in the garden, nasturtiums, lettuce, corn, peas.
Each year that you garden will be a learning experience. Start small and then make notes. What worked, what didn't, what did your family like? What will you never grow again? Plus, keeping a garden journal will allow you to mark down your progress as a gardener; it's fun to look back over what you did and what you learned. Best of luck to you!
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?