About Gardening: Foolproof Indoor Plants
by Mira Dessy
I don't know the first thing about gardening. I'm 26 years old, married and we just bought our first home. I love plants and have tried, on several occassions, to keep indoor house plants alive but with no success. Everyone I know has beautiful, luscious green plants in their home so I can't understand why I have such a difficult time. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you could give me as to what type of indoor plants are easiest (fool proof) to care for and any advice you might lend me for knowing exactly how to care for a particular plant. The little directions that come with the plant don't seem to do it for me......it says direct light, I put it in front of the window, it still dies.
Clueless in Colorado
One of the hardest things to get right is indoor plants. I sometimes spend months moving them around until they appear to be doing well. If you put them in front of a window that does not necessarily mean that they are getting enough light. I have an area that is in front of an east facing window. So the plants there only get light for a couple of hours a day. Also, if you are "loving" your plants too much you could be hurting them. Maybe they don't need as much water as you are giving them. I have some plants that only n need to be watered once a month! The other thing is that you may be over feeding them. The best way to feed your plants is either with a time release plant spike or one of those put 10 drops in a gallon of water types. This way the plants get continual but small amounts of fertilizer.
As to what is foolproof? Well, probably nothing but here are couple that are pretty easy to grow or at least they have been for me:
- Spider plants
- African Violets (they need to be watered from the bottom though - put in a tray and water the tray)
- christmas cactus
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?