About Gardening: Starting Seeds
by Mira Dessy
A quick (hopefully simply and not to dumb) gardening question. I would like to start a garden, but is it really necessary to start your plants inside (if not, which ones could you just put the seed into the ground), and if you do start the plants inside, what's a good way to do it? Also, when do you start this process? I'd love to start, but have no clue how to. Thanks for your help.
Trina in Pennsylvania
Actually that is not a dumb question. The seeds that need to be planted indoors will indicate on the package that they require an advance start especially if you live in an area where you get significant frost. Even in Pennsylvania, you will probably need to start things like tomatoes indoors to make sure they get a good growth before putting them into the garden.
How early you start them depends on how early you are able to plant them. Usually the package will say how many weeks before your frost free date. You don't want to start the plants too early because then they will get too leggy or too crowded to do well and may not survive being transplanted to the garden. You also don't want to start them too late because then you might not get a crop before you have colder weather.
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?