About Gardening: Keeping Indoor Ivy Alive
by Mira Dessy
People laugh at me, but I just can't keep ivy growing (don't know the official name). I've a couple at this time received as gifts; the first finally is healthy only after losing (drying up) half of its sprouts -- now I have three fronds(?) of it. The second just received a few weeks ago is looking ugly and dead except for one piece that might make it. This is the basic, supposedly easy-growing ivy. I try to move it, am not over-watering. Any ideas for me? I have other indoor plants that do nicely. Thanks.
It might be the chemicals that are in your water (if you are on town water). Ivy can be more sensitive to things like that. You might want to let your water sit on the counter overnight and that will get rid of excess chlorine. If that does not help then try repotting it into soil that is more acidic (mix in some peat moss) and see if that helps.
Take the Next Step:
- Visit the TDS library for more great gardening ideas.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "A Frugal Lawn & Garden" board today!
- Mastergardening.com is your premier garden supplier. We have everything you need to get your garden growing.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?