About Gardening: Pollinating Zucchini Plants
by Mira Dessy
In the last edition of "The Dollar Stretcher," you said that you felt zucchini was the easiest thing to grow and it's the one thing that hasn't yet seemed to work for me! Actually that and squash. Last year I did squash in my south- facing garden. The year prior, I lived in a different house and tried zucchini in an east-facing garden. Both times I got plenty of foliage and many flowers, but no fruit. I know for sure I had bees around last year... are they just not pollinating the plant? Is there any way you know of pollinating by hand? Are there beneficial plants I could plant close by or soil ammending I need to do? Please help; I love both of these vegetables! Also, I live in Minneapolis, MN. Thank you very much!
Funny enough to get zucchini you need both male and female flowers on a plant. The female ones are the ones that produce the fruit and are usually smaller. You might have been using an old packet of seed. If you are using a new packet of seed you might try touching all the flowers and that way passing pollen from one blossom to another.
Hope this helps.
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?