About Gardening: Starting Spinach
by Mira Dessy
I just finished reading this weeks Dollar Stretcher question " About Gardening Starting Seeds". I have some spinach seeds. I live in Richmond, VA. It's supposed to 88 degrees today (we're having a heat wave) and 60 something degrees by this weekend. When can I plant spinach seeds? I'd like to start them off indoors. Is that possible? How often should I water them? Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, spinach is one of those plants that does not transplant well. Some plants are too fragile to be able to handle the shock of being moved from a pot indoors to the garden.
Spinach also does not like a lot of heat. It will bolt (or go to seed) very quickly when the weather gets too warm. Usually you grow it in the spring or in the fall. If you start the spinach now you might get a crop before the weather gets too warm (as long as you don't have too many more heat wave days). Otherwise, you'll need to wait until about 4-6 weeks before the end of the season (end of the season is the first fall frost) to start your seeds in the ground and you'll have fall spinach to eat.
Basically keep it moist but not too wet once you put it in the garden. Germination is within 10-14 days. Hope this helps.
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.Take the Next Step:
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?