About Gardening: Starting Spinach
by Mira Dessy
I just finished reading this weeks Dollar Stretcher question " About Gardening Starting Seeds". I have some spinach seeds. I live in Richmond, VA. It's supposed to 88 degrees today (we're having a heat wave) and 60 something degrees by this weekend. When can I plant spinach seeds? I'd like to start them off indoors. Is that possible? How often should I water them? Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, spinach is one of those plants that does not transplant well. Some plants are too fragile to be able to handle the shock of being moved from a pot indoors to the garden.
Spinach also does not like a lot of heat. It will bolt (or go to seed) very quickly when the weather gets too warm. Usually you grow it in the spring or in the fall. If you start the spinach now you might get a crop before the weather gets too warm (as long as you don't have too many more heat wave days). Otherwise, you'll need to wait until about 4-6 weeks before the end of the season (end of the season is the first fall frost) to start your seeds in the ground and you'll have fall spinach to eat.
Basically keep it moist but not too wet once you put it in the garden. Germination is within 10-14 days. Hope this helps.
If you have a question for Mira, send it to email@example.com.Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?