About Gardening: Starting Spinach
by Mira Dessy
I just finished reading this weeks Dollar Stretcher question " About Gardening Starting Seeds". I have some spinach seeds. I live in Richmond, VA. It's supposed to 88 degrees today (we're having a heat wave) and 60 something degrees by this weekend. When can I plant spinach seeds? I'd like to start them off indoors. Is that possible? How often should I water them? Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, spinach is one of those plants that does not transplant well. Some plants are too fragile to be able to handle the shock of being moved from a pot indoors to the garden.
Spinach also does not like a lot of heat. It will bolt (or go to seed) very quickly when the weather gets too warm. Usually you grow it in the spring or in the fall. If you start the spinach now you might get a crop before the weather gets too warm (as long as you don't have too many more heat wave days). Otherwise, you'll need to wait until about 4-6 weeks before the end of the season (end of the season is the first fall frost) to start your seeds in the ground and you'll have fall spinach to eat.
Basically keep it moist but not too wet once you put it in the garden. Germination is within 10-14 days. Hope this helps.
If you have a question for Mira, send it to email@example.com.Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?