About Gardening: Grapes, Babies and Snakes - Oh, My!
by Mira Dessy
Is it true that if you plant a grape arbor that it will attract snakes? My husband and I will be getting a house this summer and I would like to grow some grapes. However, I'm terrified of snakes and I have a two year old that isn't afraid of anything. Is this a danger I should be concerned about? Thank you much.
I am not aware of grape arbors being an attraction for snakes. I am certainly not a herpetologist, however I would think that most snakes prefer an area where they can have some sort of cover. Grapes are trained to grow up and the ground is kept fairly free of anything in order to prevent soil bourne bacteria from infecting the grapes.
I think your best best would be to contact your local County Cooperative Extension Service and ask them what the propportion of snakes is in you area and what kinds of snakes. Enjoy your new house and garden!
If you have a question for Mira, send it to email@example.com.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- A comparison of cordless tools: Is cheapest the most frugal?
- How to avoid overloaded electric this Christmas
- Two routines to keep your home running smoothly
- Homemade wrinkle releaser
- Being prepared for a power outage
- Burn corn to heat your home
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?