About Gardening: Grapes, Babies and Snakes - Oh, My!
by Mira Dessy
Is it true that if you plant a grape arbor that it will attract snakes? My husband and I will be getting a house this summer and I would like to grow some grapes. However, I'm terrified of snakes and I have a two year old that isn't afraid of anything. Is this a danger I should be concerned about? Thank you much.
I am not aware of grape arbors being an attraction for snakes. I am certainly not a herpetologist, however I would think that most snakes prefer an area where they can have some sort of cover. Grapes are trained to grow up and the ground is kept fairly free of anything in order to prevent soil bourne bacteria from infecting the grapes.
I think your best best would be to contact your local County Cooperative Extension Service and ask them what the propportion of snakes is in you area and what kinds of snakes. Enjoy your new house and garden!
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?