About Gardening: Grapes, Babies and Snakes - Oh, My!
by Mira Dessy
Is it true that if you plant a grape arbor that it will attract snakes? My husband and I will be getting a house this summer and I would like to grow some grapes. However, I'm terrified of snakes and I have a two year old that isn't afraid of anything. Is this a danger I should be concerned about? Thank you much.
I am not aware of grape arbors being an attraction for snakes. I am certainly not a herpetologist, however I would think that most snakes prefer an area where they can have some sort of cover. Grapes are trained to grow up and the ground is kept fairly free of anything in order to prevent soil bourne bacteria from infecting the grapes.
I think your best best would be to contact your local County Cooperative Extension Service and ask them what the propportion of snakes is in you area and what kinds of snakes. Enjoy your new house and garden!
If you have a question for Mira, send it to email@example.com.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?