About Gardening: Grapes, Babies and Snakes - Oh, My!
by Mira Dessy
Is it true that if you plant a grape arbor that it will attract snakes? My husband and I will be getting a house this summer and I would like to grow some grapes. However, I'm terrified of snakes and I have a two year old that isn't afraid of anything. Is this a danger I should be concerned about? Thank you much.
I am not aware of grape arbors being an attraction for snakes. I am certainly not a herpetologist, however I would think that most snakes prefer an area where they can have some sort of cover. Grapes are trained to grow up and the ground is kept fairly free of anything in order to prevent soil bourne bacteria from infecting the grapes.
I think your best best would be to contact your local County Cooperative Extension Service and ask them what the propportion of snakes is in you area and what kinds of snakes. Enjoy your new house and garden!
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?