Rattling Suzuki Door Locks
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Please help if you can! I have a 1996 4door Suzuki Sidekick and I love it. However, the locks rattle terribly. (They are NOT power locks) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Suzuki says there is nothing they can do. But I was wondering if you knew of anything we can do. THe locks are just those push up and down type- and there is a very small space between the lock and the door. (I hope you can understand what I'm saying.) Anyway, if you know of anything we can slide between the locks so it is a cushion-type barrier, let me know. Please! Thanks for your help and I enjoy reading your car care feature. Thanks again!!
Now here is a frugal auto repair question. There are several things that you can do, but you have to find out what is making the noise to make the fix in the correct location.... take the door panel off... follow the lock button to the lock... see those metal linkages, do they rub against any metal (hint, look for any place where the paint is rubbed). Now, go and get some vacuum line, probably 1.4 inch diameter will do... now slice it long enough to cover the linkage anyplace that it rubs the metal... then stil the hose length wise from end to end and slide it over the linkage and position it where it rubs... that should solve your rattles for a while (until something else goes)
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?