Rattling Suzuki Door Locks
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Please help if you can! I have a 1996 4door Suzuki Sidekick and I love it. However, the locks rattle terribly. (They are NOT power locks) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Suzuki says there is nothing they can do. But I was wondering if you knew of anything we can do. THe locks are just those push up and down type- and there is a very small space between the lock and the door. (I hope you can understand what I'm saying.) Anyway, if you know of anything we can slide between the locks so it is a cushion-type barrier, let me know. Please! Thanks for your help and I enjoy reading your car care feature. Thanks again!!
Now here is a frugal auto repair question. There are several things that you can do, but you have to find out what is making the noise to make the fix in the correct location.... take the door panel off... follow the lock button to the lock... see those metal linkages, do they rub against any metal (hint, look for any place where the paint is rubbed). Now, go and get some vacuum line, probably 1.4 inch diameter will do... now slice it long enough to cover the linkage anyplace that it rubs the metal... then stil the hose length wise from end to end and slide it over the linkage and position it where it rubs... that should solve your rattles for a while (until something else goes)
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- How to build a contemporary outdoor fireplace
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Tips for taking in a renter
- How little things can make your décor pop
- Building a winter green house
- A natural approach to eliminating pet odors
- Cost-effective solutions to rid your home of black snakes
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?