courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My dad has a '90 Chevy Lumina. After 20 minutes to a half hour the car will cut off. The only thing the we notice is that the temperature is above 120 on the car. Also in the winter the car will cut off after 30-40 min. but around Spring and Summer it's about 20-30 minutes. If you try to restart the car it cuts on but when you shift gears and take your foot off the break it cuts off. And depending on the outside temperature it cools down between 15-30 minutes. The only thing we believe it is, is that the radiator needs to be drained. Can you help us?
120 degrees, is that all? A car's normal operating temperature is between 165 and 195. If it is only getting to 120, then the thermostat is stuck open. A cold engine will not run correctly. Chevy truck magazine just did a good article, "Heat is your engine's friend and Heat is your engine's enemy". Really good. But that really has nothing to do with why the car stops. I bet that it is either a bad cam sensor or a fuel pump or a fuel pump relay.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 8 things to do before you shop for a rent-to-own home
- Turning your home into a bed & breakfast inn
- Affordable safety improvements for your home
- How to repair throw rugs
- Combating dry winter indoor air
- Refurbishing wood cabinets
- Safeguarding your home during winter absences
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?