Apartment Vegetable Garden
by Mira Dessy
I live in an apartment on the second floor. Can I grow any veggies in a window box? I love tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots, and herbs would be better fresh than the bottled variety I now use. If not, do you have any advice on where to get low-priced, but not low-quality veggies? Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated.
Yes you can definitely grow veggies in containers. For the window-box style you will need to consider how big the plant and its related produce get. For example, I would probably not do tomatoes or cucumbers in a window box. However, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, carrots, radishes, bush beans, and those sorts of vegetables, not to mention all sorts of lovely herbs should do well in a window box. For the larger things like tomatoes you might want to consider doing those in a container inside the apartment, near the window. As long as it gets enough light you shouldn't have a problem. And since it's inside you can trellis it any way you want. You would have a lovely "living wall" near your window that would probably be an interesting conversation piece as well as a great source of fresh produce.
Take the Next Step:
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?