About Gardening: Natural Bug Repellent
by Mira Dessy
Before Your Compost
Why Garden Naturally?
Safe and Natural Pest Control
I am a novice at gardening. I have begun gardening with a few bell pepper, tomato, strawberry, zuchini, potato, mint, and cilantro plants. The bell peppers and strawberries are beginning to produce. However, bugs are starting to arrive. I don't want to use chemicals if I can avoid them. Is there any home remedy way of protecting my plants from the bugs? If not, what is your next best suggestion?
Dawn from sunny FL
I usually try to use soapy water to prevent bugs. I figure since I'm going to wash the dirt off the produce a little soap is okay. I have also whirred up marigold leaves in the soapy water. For really vigorous infestations, I must admit that I will occasionally use chemical intervention. I don't like to because I don't think it's that healthy for anyone involved, but feel that it is better than loosing an entire crop to bugs. Any readers have any other "natural" remedies?
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. She's able to answer many of them personally.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.