About Gardening: Natural Bug Repellent
by Mira Dessy
Before Your Compost
Why Garden Naturally?
Safe and Natural Pest Control
I am a novice at gardening. I have begun gardening with a few bell pepper, tomato, strawberry, zuchini, potato, mint, and cilantro plants. The bell peppers and strawberries are beginning to produce. However, bugs are starting to arrive. I don't want to use chemicals if I can avoid them. Is there any home remedy way of protecting my plants from the bugs? If not, what is your next best suggestion?
Dawn from sunny FL
I usually try to use soapy water to prevent bugs. I figure since I'm going to wash the dirt off the produce a little soap is okay. I have also whirred up marigold leaves in the soapy water. For really vigorous infestations, I must admit that I will occasionally use chemical intervention. I don't like to because I don't think it's that healthy for anyone involved, but feel that it is better than loosing an entire crop to bugs. Any readers have any other "natural" remedies?
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. She's able to answer many of them personally.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?