About Gardening: Natural Bug Repellent
by Mira Dessy
Before Your Compost
Why Garden Naturally?
Safe and Natural Pest Control
I am a novice at gardening. I have begun gardening with a few bell pepper, tomato, strawberry, zuchini, potato, mint, and cilantro plants. The bell peppers and strawberries are beginning to produce. However, bugs are starting to arrive. I don't want to use chemicals if I can avoid them. Is there any home remedy way of protecting my plants from the bugs? If not, what is your next best suggestion?
Dawn from sunny FL
I usually try to use soapy water to prevent bugs. I figure since I'm going to wash the dirt off the produce a little soap is okay. I have also whirred up marigold leaves in the soapy water. For really vigorous infestations, I must admit that I will occasionally use chemical intervention. I don't like to because I don't think it's that healthy for anyone involved, but feel that it is better than loosing an entire crop to bugs. Any readers have any other "natural" remedies?
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. She's able to answer many of them personally.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?