'96 Explorer Ride Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just bought a 96 Explorer V-8 2WD. The ride is not what I expected. It feels like there is 50 lbs. of air in the tires. I have tried down to 26, which Ford recommends, but doesn't help much. Also afraid that will wear out the tires too fast. I have new Michelin XLTs. Do you know what can be done to improve the ride?
What is the ride like and what did you expect? No matter what, it is still a truck and will NOT ride like a car does. The center of gravity is a lot higher than that of a passenger car. If this is your first truck, then you simply misjudged it and should have taken it out on a longer test drive. If this is not your first truck, then the only other thing that I can think of is that may be you are comparing it to the ride of a new chevy S-10 Blazer. These trucks have an amazing ride when new. Then, after they break in, they are the sloppiest thing on the road.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?