Will It Cool or Not?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Mazda Protege which I think is a reliable car. I have just one problem that concerns the car's air-conditioning unit. Probably one out of ten times that you turn the aircon on, it just blows hot air. I have to turn it off and make sure that I am stepping on the accelerator pedal when I turn it back on. If I'm not stepping on the accelerator when I turn it back on , no cool air would come out of the vents. I have brought the car to the shop twice, but the only solution done was to always add freon, which didn't solve the problem. What do you think is wrong?
First off, a '96 should not repeatedly need freon. These are sealed systems that do NOT CONSUME FREON. If the system is low, then there is a LEAK! This I can guarantee! As for stepping on the gas to get it to work, that should have the opposite effect. You see, when the car see an added load, like stepping on the gas to pass, it turns off the AC to give the motor some more power, not the other way around.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?