Will It Cool or Not?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Mazda Protege which I think is a reliable car. I have just one problem that concerns the car's air-conditioning unit. Probably one out of ten times that you turn the aircon on, it just blows hot air. I have to turn it off and make sure that I am stepping on the accelerator pedal when I turn it back on. If I'm not stepping on the accelerator when I turn it back on , no cool air would come out of the vents. I have brought the car to the shop twice, but the only solution done was to always add freon, which didn't solve the problem. What do you think is wrong?
First off, a '96 should not repeatedly need freon. These are sealed systems that do NOT CONSUME FREON. If the system is low, then there is a LEAK! This I can guarantee! As for stepping on the gas to get it to work, that should have the opposite effect. You see, when the car see an added load, like stepping on the gas to pass, it turns off the AC to give the motor some more power, not the other way around.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?