Caprice Smells Like Antifreeze
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Hope you can help me with this one. My air conditioner in my 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic works fine, but it sends out a strong smell of antifreeze. I checked under the hood and don't see any leaks from the cooling system (doesn't mean there aren't any), and I made sure the reservoir was full. It was down a bit, not too much. Also the car doesn't overheat at all. My only clue so far is the smell. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Al G in Ty Ty, Georgia
Sounds to me like the heater core has gone or is going south on you. This is the only place that you will find antifreeze in the interior of the car.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- DIY spider control Video
- A burglar reveals 15 trade secrets
- Cutting back on tree trimming costs
- Ways to save money in your workshop
- How much does it cost to run appliances?
- Cleaning engineered hardwood floors
- Keeping winter utility bills manageable
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?