Caprice Smells Like Antifreeze
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Hope you can help me with this one. My air conditioner in my 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic works fine, but it sends out a strong smell of antifreeze. I checked under the hood and don't see any leaks from the cooling system (doesn't mean there aren't any), and I made sure the reservoir was full. It was down a bit, not too much. Also the car doesn't overheat at all. My only clue so far is the smell. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Al G in Ty Ty, Georgia
Sounds to me like the heater core has gone or is going south on you. This is the only place that you will find antifreeze in the interior of the car.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?