Natural Bug Control
by Mira Dessy
This makes a good bug spray for plants. One cup of each of the following in 2 gallon pressure sprayer:
- Dawn dish washing detergent
- No name window spray
- Tobacco juice (Make this by putting a generous clump of chewing tobacco in a pint jar of water, and let it remain overnight. Strain prior to putting in with remaining ingredients.)
- Fill remaining space in sprayer with water
Spray generously on plants.
Thank you for sharing the following bug spray remedy (for plants, not people). I have not heard of this one.
I worked in the interior/exterior plantscape business during the transitional period of the late 1980's when we all realized that pesticides were not good! We found a product called "Pepper Wax" which works really well on many bug problems. I believe a company called Southwest Products manufactures it. It started out as a natural plant food and people working with it, discovered that it was a good bug repellent. It can't be used on fuzzy plants (African Violets) but can be used on almost any plant with a solid leaf surface.
Thank you for sharing information about this product. Apparently there are lots of "bug experts" out there and I thank you (and the others) for taking the time to share what you know about different products.
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?