Eat Better, Spend Less: Sloppy Joes
by Julie Davis
I was taken a back when I saw canned sloppy joe sauce priced at $2.50. The sauce would barely be enough for 4 people and you still needed to add browned ground beef or turkey. This recipe includes the meat and sauce for only $2.00 and takes slightly longer to make than when you use the prepared sauce. Add 50 cents or so for bread or hamburger buns. Kids love them!
- 1 pound turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t. honey
- 2 t. prepared mustard
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey with onion and green pepper. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Add to skillet. Heat until thickened to desired consistency. Serve over large slice of bread or over hamburger buns. Makes 4 generous servings.
Trending on TDS
- Inexpensive meal ideas for family reunions
- Frugal family journeys into geneology
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Giveaway: Back-to-school lunch essentials
- Baby toys you can make
- Respect for a stay-at-home mom
- Saving kids from consumierism
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Beating the back-to-school budget blues
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in July
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator