Eat Better, Spend Less: Sloppy Joes
by Julie Davis
I was taken a back when I saw canned sloppy joe sauce priced at $2.50. The sauce would barely be enough for 4 people and you still needed to add browned ground beef or turkey. This recipe includes the meat and sauce for only $2.00 and takes slightly longer to make than when you use the prepared sauce. Add 50 cents or so for bread or hamburger buns. Kids love them!
- 1 pound turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t. honey
- 2 t. prepared mustard
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey with onion and green pepper. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Add to skillet. Heat until thickened to desired consistency. Serve over large slice of bread or over hamburger buns. Makes 4 generous servings.
Trending on TDS
- Finding the right style baby stroller
- Saving on supplements
- How to keep your family warm this winter
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- December bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- A dozen things you should buy in December
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator