Eat Better, Spend Less: Sloppy Joes
by Julie Davis
I was taken a back when I saw canned sloppy joe sauce priced at $2.50. The sauce would barely be enough for 4 people and you still needed to add browned ground beef or turkey. This recipe includes the meat and sauce for only $2.00 and takes slightly longer to make than when you use the prepared sauce. Add 50 cents or so for bread or hamburger buns. Kids love them!
- 1 pound turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t. honey
- 2 t. prepared mustard
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey with onion and green pepper. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Add to skillet. Heat until thickened to desired consistency. Serve over large slice of bread or over hamburger buns. Makes 4 generous servings.
Total cost is $2.50-$3.00, depending on what type of bread you use. Hamburger buns are on sale everywhere now for Memorial Day. Cost is calculated based on prices at a "bag your own groceries" type supermarket in Southwest Washington.
Also in Family
- 9 ways to avoid marital money problems
- 6 child-safety errors parents make in cars
- Grocery items you can find on sale in March
- Properly defined dependents can pay off at tax time
- How to rein in a spending spouse
- Gift ideas for teen girls
- 4 free apps that help you save