Eat Better, Spend Less: Sloppy Joes
by Julie Davis
I was taken a back when I saw canned sloppy joe sauce priced at $2.50. The sauce would barely be enough for 4 people and you still needed to add browned ground beef or turkey. This recipe includes the meat and sauce for only $2.00 and takes slightly longer to make than when you use the prepared sauce. Add 50 cents or so for bread or hamburger buns. Kids love them!
- 1 pound turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t. honey
- 2 t. prepared mustard
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey with onion and green pepper. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Add to skillet. Heat until thickened to desired consistency. Serve over large slice of bread or over hamburger buns. Makes 4 generous servings.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 12 best bargains for shoppers in April
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 8 habits that plug parental spending leaks
- 3 great low-cost summer activities with kids
- Keeping your pet out of the economic doghouse
- Frugal living ideas for large families Readers' Solutions
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator