New Shock Absorbers
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
About a month ago I noticed that my Toyota Corola needed some help. When I hit only minor bumps in the road it feels like the back of the car swerves sideways. I don't have money to get it fixed if it is major. My dad pushed down on the back end of the car and it came up promptly so he doesn't think it is the shocks. What do you think it might be? I'm rarely drive over 55 mph because I don't want to lose control as it is pretty bad and I know that I'm going to have to have it looked at soon.
Just because the car comes back up doesn't mean that the shocks are NOT bad. You see, a lot of people confuse the "bounce" with the shocks, but really, the car is pushed back by the springs, not the shocks. The shocks (actually called shock adsorber) slows down the rebound. When you push down firmly on the back of the car, and it promptly comes back up, does it bounce around (go down and up again) or does it stay up? This is the more appropriate way to check than just looking to see if it comes up. But most likely, you need shocks in the back.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?