Electronic Rust Preventers
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just bought an '86 Nissan with a little bit of rust. I would love to make this car last and was wondering about these electronic rust preventers/stoppers. My dad bought a new truck and that was all they put on it to keep it from rusting (no undercoating) and they make claims that it should keep a used car from rusting further. Is it worth the $150 or so?
Greg A. of Caro, Michigan
I have heard of these things for a while, but I never knew anyone that actually used one. I always wondered if they really did work. It has some physical merit. From what I can remember about my chemistry, it sounds viable. If any of our readers have one, or know of someone who does, then please let us know. Also, if someone has a reason why it does NOT work, then let me know as well.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?