Grand Voyager A/C
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I enjoy reading your answers to readers encores. I would appreciate your comments on my 1992 Grand Voyageur air-conditioning problems. I do a lot of my minor repairs and maintenance myself and have done so for about 45 years now. This should give you a hint that I am retired. My air-conditioning was working last year but when I turned it on this year it was not blowing any cold air. I have 210,000 km on the vehicle. Just installed a rebuilt motor and transmission.
I have checked the fuses in the fuse panel and they all appear sound. When I push the a/c button with the temp control switch in the cold position the magnetic drive on the compressor doesn't click in. No compressor -> no a/c. I disconnected the connection for the drive and jumped the contacts directly from the battery. As a result, the drive closes and the compressor turns. As far as I can tell the air coming from the vents at this point is still not cool air. There is a second set of wires that go to the compressor itself. I don't know their purpose. However, there does seem to be a problem in that the magnetic clutch is not getting power. Can you tell me if there are some other fuses I should be checking or is the a/c system somehow tied into some other sensors or the computer?
Your car has a leak in the A/C system somewhere and the compressor is not turning on due to a lack of freon pressure. I don't know about Canada, but in the US, you can NOT repair this yourself. It must be brought to a certified service station.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?