The Champion Cheapskate Test
by Arthur A. Hawkins II
Take this quick Champion Cheapskate Test:
- Do you take advantage of FREE-bies: web sites, push technology, e-mail, software, online trading & pricing services, frequent flyer miles, samples, etc.?
- Are you leveraging your buying power with others and pooling your money in co-ops?
- When is the last time you searched closets, attics and basements for hidden treasures and long-forgotten essentials?
- Would you rather spend money (buy)? OR Repair, Restore, Reuse, Reduce and Recycle?
- Do you volunteer, test-taste, test-drive, answer surveys, etc.?
- Are you careful about what you reveal about yourself and to whom?
- Do you examine and read everything carefully, first (especially the fine print)? Or are you a frequent victim who is scammed and slammed?
- How well do you know your consumer rights? really?
- Do you pay with credit card, cash or check?
- Do you learn refund and return policies before you buy?
- Do you investigate companies, products and services before you purchase?
- Do you ask friends, family and associates for product/service referrals and recommendations?
- Are you selling or donating (tax write-off) unwanted goods instead of throwing them away?
- You trust advertising and salespeople, don't you?
- Do you get all claims, warranties and guarantees in writing?
- Do you shop in the right places (online, warehouses, buyers' clubs, discount stores, mail order, etc.)?
- Are you getting discounts, negotiating and comparison shopping?
- Do you know when to shop (sales, specials, seasons, etc.)?
- Do you know what sellers pay (dealer cost) and their typical markups?
- If you feel you were wronged, ripped off or taken advantage of, do you complain LOUDLY (to the right sources)?
Arthur A. Hawkins II is a Northwestern University-educated author of the best selling book The Self-Employment Resource Guide and dozens of money articles.
Debt from my past is preventing me from saving for my future! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save! or No, debt is not a problem but I am trying to get ahead financially!