CopyKat Recipes: Summer Specials
by Stephanie Manley
I don't know about ya'll, but it sure feels like summer down here. Enjoy these recipes: they won't even heat up your kitchen. Remember you can find many more Copykat recipes at www.copykat.com.
Super Salad Fettucine Salad
This is one of my favorites available on the salad bar. I would use light mayo if you have it. Do not use Miracle Whip.
- 8 oz. fettucine
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- salt to taste
Cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Mix pasta and corn in a bowl. Mix together the mayo, cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. combine the pasta, and sauce, and mix well. Salt to taste. This is best if refrigerated for a couple of hours before serving.
Luby's Cafeteria Italian Chicken Breast
- 1 lb. (4 cups) grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 c flour, divided (2 c and 1 c)
- 1/2 c dried parsley flakes
- 1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (0.7-oz) package dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 c milk
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- vegetable oil
- grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley
In a medium-size bowl, combine mozzarella, 2 cups flour, parsley flakes, Parmesan and dressing mix; blend well. In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk and eggs until well-blended. Place remaining flour in another shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour, shaking off excess; dip into milk mixture, then into cheese mixture, coating evenly and pressing into chicken.
Heat about 1/8 inch oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Garnish with cheese and parsley. Makes 8 servings.
Shoney's Strawberry Pie
You can either use a prepared pie crust, or you can try this recipe. It is honestly the best pie crust recipe I have seen, and believe me I need all of the help I can get :-)
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 stick butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. shortening
- 1/8 c ice water
Put flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter and shortening into the flour. Process a few seconds until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the water very gradually, processing briefly. The whole process should take about 20 to 30 seconds. Wrap and chill for an hour. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand 15 minutes before rolling. (The Martha Stewart Cookbook.) You can double this up for a top and bottom crust.
- 1 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 12-oz. can 7-UP
- whipped cream
In a medium-sized sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, and 7-UP until creamy. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until the mixture becomes thick. Then cool to room temperature and add a couple of drops of red food coloring. Wash, and cut strawberries into quarters, or smaller depending on how large they are. Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of sugar on the strawberries, and place them in the shell. Pour the cooled 7-Up mixture over the strawberries. Allow this to set for a few minutes. Serve with plenty of whipped cream.
With CopyKat recipes you can have your favorite restaurant meals without all the expense (not to mention impressing your guests!). Visit the CopyKat website www.copykat.com for a wealth of wonderful recipes. Your family will think you've taken them to a fancy restaurant!
Trending on TDS
- Inexpensive meal ideas for family reunions
- Frugal family journeys into geneology
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Giveaway: Back-to-school lunch essentials
- Baby toys you can make
- Respect for a stay-at-home mom
- Saving kids from consumierism
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Beating the back-to-school budget blues
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in August
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator