About Gardening: Slugs (Yech!)
by Mira Dessy
I have a terrible slug problem. We live in a trailer park bordering a bird refuge. I have a little area for a garden surrounding the deck and have planted several times. The slugs eat my new starts and the ants move my bean seeds. I have taken to going out in the evening and picking slugs. I even bought some slug bait. It works fairly well for a while and then wears off. Hand-picking the slugs is my best solution so far. Do you have any recipes for homemade slug repellent?
There are some really effective ways to get rid of slugs. One, of course, is hand picking. It's not pleasant, but it works. The other is to put out a pan of beer. They are attracted to it and climb in. The object is to use a pan and enough beer to drown them. This is not pleasant to clean out, but it's better than having all of your produce shredded. The third is to place copper tape around the plants. The tape should be wide enough that they can't cross it. Every time they try, they receive an electrical shock as their system reacts with the copper. Although the tape is somewhat expensive (I don't remember exact costs off the top of my head), it is effective and reusable.
Take the Next Step:
- For more gardening articles, visit The Dollar Stretcher library.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?