courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My question is about the overdrive switch. What does exactly that switch do? Is it better to turn it off while you're not driving too fast (surface street, in traffic, etc.) or better have it on all the time? Is it harmful to turn it on and off frequently? BTW, I own a 1985 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles on it which is still running satisfactorily.
Andre J. of Garden Grove, CA
Basically that switch turns off the overdrive on the transmission. The only time you really need to use it is when going up a hill or when towing something. Other than that, the transmission should be able to select the correct gear for the speed you are driving.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?