courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My question is about the overdrive switch. What does exactly that switch do? Is it better to turn it off while you're not driving too fast (surface street, in traffic, etc.) or better have it on all the time? Is it harmful to turn it on and off frequently? BTW, I own a 1985 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles on it which is still running satisfactorily.
Andre J. of Garden Grove, CA
Basically that switch turns off the overdrive on the transmission. The only time you really need to use it is when going up a hill or when towing something. Other than that, the transmission should be able to select the correct gear for the speed you are driving.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.