courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My question is about the overdrive switch. What does exactly that switch do? Is it better to turn it off while you're not driving too fast (surface street, in traffic, etc.) or better have it on all the time? Is it harmful to turn it on and off frequently? BTW, I own a 1985 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles on it which is still running satisfactorily.
Andre J. of Garden Grove, CA
Basically that switch turns off the overdrive on the transmission. The only time you really need to use it is when going up a hill or when towing something. Other than that, the transmission should be able to select the correct gear for the speed you are driving.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?