courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My question is about the overdrive switch. What does exactly that switch do? Is it better to turn it off while you're not driving too fast (surface street, in traffic, etc.) or better have it on all the time? Is it harmful to turn it on and off frequently? BTW, I own a 1985 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles on it which is still running satisfactorily.
Andre J. of Garden Grove, CA
Basically that switch turns off the overdrive on the transmission. The only time you really need to use it is when going up a hill or when towing something. Other than that, the transmission should be able to select the correct gear for the speed you are driving.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?