Water Pressure and ABS Pipes
by Sherm Turner
Dear Master Plumber,
Our 50 year old house, is in good shape. It has lead water pipes with and high mineral content. Over the last several years the water pressure seems to have dropped? Why? Is there any thing we could do to increase our water pressure? I would appreciate any suggestion.
Low Pressure Pete
Yes, water pressure will drop when the old lead water pipes get clogged-up from calcium build-up and minerals. Call a good plumber and have the plumber install copper type piping. The new copper piping will increase the water pressure for you. Have a plumber do this job. This is not a do-it-yourself job.
Is ABS plastic pipe ever used to connect a house sewage system to the city's system? Why does this connection have leaks? Was this job done properly?
Dear Feeling Ripped-Off,
ABS plastic pipe has been outlawed and is under investigation. I can't say that it's a legal rip-off because of the investigative lawsuits pending. But, if your plumber was any good, the connection between different materials would have the proper size and type transitional fitting to avoid leaks.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: email@example.com.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?