Singing In the Rain (Not!)
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '85 Mazda RX7 with a 4-barrel carb. Lately, after it has rained hard, it will not start. When I finally get it to start (after eventually running down the battery and having to get a jump-start) a large amount of white vapor comes out the exhaust. My initial thought was that it might have a cracked distributor cap or deteriorated spark plug wire insulation, but that would not seem to explain the vapor. It seems as if moisture is somehow getting into the combustion chambers, but how? Yes, it does have an air filter on top of the carb. Any ideas?
Jim in Omaha, Nebraska
Somehow water is getting into the fuel. There are two places your should make sure are in good order. The first is the carb. Check the air box to make sure that there are no leaks around it. The next is the gas tank. Make sure it is sealed. The most probable places for a leak in a gas tank are the gas cap, fuel filler neck entry to tank, and fuel level sending unit cover on top of the tank.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?