Singing In the Rain (Not!)
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '85 Mazda RX7 with a 4-barrel carb. Lately, after it has rained hard, it will not start. When I finally get it to start (after eventually running down the battery and having to get a jump-start) a large amount of white vapor comes out the exhaust. My initial thought was that it might have a cracked distributor cap or deteriorated spark plug wire insulation, but that would not seem to explain the vapor. It seems as if moisture is somehow getting into the combustion chambers, but how? Yes, it does have an air filter on top of the carb. Any ideas?
Jim in Omaha, Nebraska
Somehow water is getting into the fuel. There are two places your should make sure are in good order. The first is the carb. Check the air box to make sure that there are no leaks around it. The next is the gas tank. Make sure it is sealed. The most probable places for a leak in a gas tank are the gas cap, fuel filler neck entry to tank, and fuel level sending unit cover on top of the tank.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?