The Frugal Decorator: Turn an Unused Drawer into a Shelf
by Leah Wynne
My bed is made of wood and it has two drawers underneath it: two drawers I never use, even though I always complain about the lack of storage space we have. I finally took the two drawers out and removed the bottom part, leaving the actual frame of the drawer intact. I hung them on the wall side by side. One drawer holds knick-knacks and the other holds my tapes.
The drawers were the perfect depth for my tapes, but a lot of vertical space was wasted because the tapes are only 4 or 5 inches tall. What I did was drill two 1/4" holes side by side on each side of the drawer. Then I threaded 1/4" doweling through the two holes and now have another ledge upon which to put my tapes.
Leah works part-time at a home-decorating store and practices frugal living on a daily basis.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?