The Frugal Decorator: Turn an Unused Drawer into a Shelf
by Leah Wynne
My bed is made of wood and it has two drawers underneath it: two drawers I never use, even though I always complain about the lack of storage space we have. I finally took the two drawers out and removed the bottom part, leaving the actual frame of the drawer intact. I hung them on the wall side by side. One drawer holds knick-knacks and the other holds my tapes.
The drawers were the perfect depth for my tapes, but a lot of vertical space was wasted because the tapes are only 4 or 5 inches tall. What I did was drill two 1/4" holes side by side on each side of the drawer. Then I threaded 1/4" doweling through the two holes and now have another ledge upon which to put my tapes.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Leah works part-time at a home-decorating store and practices frugal living on a daily basis.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?