Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes and Resources
Curried Vegetable Rice
Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes Needed
I am looking for vegetarian slow-cooker cook books and recipes. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
My Favorite Vegan Resources
For cookbooks, check garage sales, used book stores, and sale tables at retail book stores. I would also suggest joining some online discussion groups that focus on vegetarianism. They should be able to share some of their favorite recipes with you.
Vegan Web Sites
There is a webpage that features many vegetarian crockpot recipes. It is at http://southernfood.tqn.com/. Many other crockpot recipes can be found through the OAMC webpage, which can be reached through the Frugal Simple Life web site. Debi, the author of this webpage frequently contributes articles to "The Dollar Stretcher." Even if you don't want to do Once-A-Month-Cooking, this webpage will still be helpful.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 onion
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small garlic clove
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 can olives (any size, sliced in half)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can each, red kidneys, garbanzo beans, white kidneys, black beans (If you use dried beans, you must soak and cook them first).
- 2 1/2 prepared brown rice (rice soaks up the extra moisture that comes from crock pot cooking and makes a complete protein with the beans)
- 1/8 tsp. powdered red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano (or substitute your favorite chili seasonings)
Chop vegetables and lay on bottom of slow-cooker. Add tomatoes, seasonings, beans, and rice. Do not mix together. Turn slow-cooker to low and let cook 6-8 hours (I just let mine cook away until I get home from work and I've never had any problem with it cooking longer than the average time for comparable recipes in slow-cooker books). When you get home, stir mixture and return lid while you set table.
Vegan Slow Cooker Rice and Beans
- 1/2 lbs dry pinto-beans
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- Salt to taste
- One clove of garlic
- 1 packet of kosher-pareve gravy mix (any flavor as long as it's pareve) (or 1/3 cup dry soup mixed with 1 teaspoon rice-flour or cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green onions
- 1 and a half to 2 cups of rice
Soak beans overnight to reduce gas, if you like. Drain and rinse beans, discarding the ones that float. put the beans in the crockpot, then put the onion and garlic in on top of them. Add enough water to be twice the volume of the beans, and turn the slow-cooker on high for at least 4 hours, if the beans were soaked first, 6 hours, if they were not. Once the beans are cooked, but the water is still clear (add about a cup more hot water, if it is not clear) add the rice, and let cook for another 45 minutes to an hour, mix in the gravy-mix and green onions, and cook for another 15 minutes.
I have found this to be a very easy and delicious no-meat meal. I put it in a slow-cooker and leave it on low all day. It's fast, tasty, good for you, and it's pretty too!
- 2 med. onions, chopped
- 2 med. green peppers, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, thin sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1- 16 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1- 15 oz. red kidney beans, drained
- 1- 8oz. tomato sauce
- 2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbls. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbls. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
Mix all together in a slow-cooker and leave all day.
Marie D. of Palouse, WA
Take the Next Step:
- Find more great slow cooker recipes in the TDS library.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!