Plastic Water Lines
by Sherm Turner
Dear Mr. Plumber,
We are building a new house from the ground in Michigan. Our builder wants to install plastic water lines in the house. Is this any good? What is the code? Could the plastic water pipes leak?
Mikey in Michigan
Yes, you could and will have leaks using plastic water lines in Michigan. The plumbing code for nearly all the frigid states requires copper pipe and fittings. You never stated what type of plastic pipe but certain types have been outlawed / banned from use in colder climates.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?