Plastic Water Lines
by Sherm Turner
Dear Mr. Plumber,
We are building a new house from the ground in Michigan. Our builder wants to install plastic water lines in the house. Is this any good? What is the code? Could the plastic water pipes leak?
Mikey in Michigan
Yes, you could and will have leaks using plastic water lines in Michigan. The plumbing code for nearly all the frigid states requires copper pipe and fittings. You never stated what type of plastic pipe but certain types have been outlawed / banned from use in colder climates.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?