Plastic Water Lines
by Sherm Turner
Dear Mr. Plumber,
We are building a new house from the ground in Michigan. Our builder wants to install plastic water lines in the house. Is this any good? What is the code? Could the plastic water pipes leak?
Mikey in Michigan
Yes, you could and will have leaks using plastic water lines in Michigan. The plumbing code for nearly all the frigid states requires copper pipe and fittings. You never stated what type of plastic pipe but certain types have been outlawed / banned from use in colder climates.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?