Jeep Cherokee 'Losing' Transmission Fluid
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently purchased a used 1996 Grand Cherokee and immediately started having transmission problems. The dealer replaced the transmission and torque converter. My problems have not ended. It seems to act as if a clutch has been pushed in when it changes from first to second gears at times. This is an automatic. It revs really high before going back into overdrive after climbing a hill. I t is also using about a quart of transmission fluid per 1000 miles. It has no leaks and the exhaust is wet with fluid and does not smoke at all. If you can help with this problem I would be a most happy 4-wheeler.
If it is "using one quart per 1000 miles" and not leaking, then where is it going? The transmission is not linked to the exhaust system! It has to be leaking, but maybe not while it is parked. What might be happening is that one of the shaft seals is leaking and when the transmission is spinning, it is throwing the fluid around under the car. Transmissions DO NOT CONSUME fluid. If the fluid is down, I guarantee that it is leaking somewhere. If the dealer installed this item, then there should be a warranty. If you are unsatisfied with the results, call your regional rep and see if the work can be performed at another dealership.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?