Jeep Cherokee 'Losing' Transmission Fluid
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently purchased a used 1996 Grand Cherokee and immediately started having transmission problems. The dealer replaced the transmission and torque converter. My problems have not ended. It seems to act as if a clutch has been pushed in when it changes from first to second gears at times. This is an automatic. It revs really high before going back into overdrive after climbing a hill. I t is also using about a quart of transmission fluid per 1000 miles. It has no leaks and the exhaust is wet with fluid and does not smoke at all. If you can help with this problem I would be a most happy 4-wheeler.
If it is "using one quart per 1000 miles" and not leaking, then where is it going? The transmission is not linked to the exhaust system! It has to be leaking, but maybe not while it is parked. What might be happening is that one of the shaft seals is leaking and when the transmission is spinning, it is throwing the fluid around under the car. Transmissions DO NOT CONSUME fluid. If the fluid is down, I guarantee that it is leaking somewhere. If the dealer installed this item, then there should be a warranty. If you are unsatisfied with the results, call your regional rep and see if the work can be performed at another dealership.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?