About Gardening: Shaded Flower Gardens
by Mira Dessy
Read your column in the "stretcher" newsletter on the net. I am a very novice gardener, that cannot get anything to grow except weeds. All of my gardens never get morning sun and half of them never get any sun whatsoever. Do you have any suggestions for easy growing plants to grow in shade and ones for afternoon sun only. I would love for them to be perennials so that I won't have to buy them year after year. I've tried roses, making a whole new area for them, NO. got rid of the area and grassed it in. I have no problem with grass and keeping dandelions away. Please help with these flower gardens, my children want to grow something in these gardens. Thanks.
There are a lot of lovely things that grow in the shade and in partial shade. Hosta and ferns are, of course, very popular. Impatiens are a very nice annual but they add a lot of wonderful color. You could also try astilbe, coral bells, jack-in-the-pulpit, or bleeding hearts. Where you have virtually no sun whatsoever you will probably have better luck growing foliage type plants. I find that usually even the shade loving plants that have flowers need some sort of sun. Hope this helps.
Take the Next Step:
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?