About Gardening: Grubs & Japanese Beetles
by Mira Dessy
Is there any relatively inexpensive way to treat my lawn for grubs? We just bought a home on 1/2 acre, and buying commercial "grub fighter" for all of it will be quite costly. I've seen grubs and what I think are Japanese beetles - and I have a number of rose bushes that I'd like to protect. Any thoughts?
Commercial products can indeed be quite expensive. Treating your lawn I don't think you have a choice. I don't know what sort of grubs you have in the lawn but I find that for good treatment of a lawn the best thing to do is to resort to a chemically based solution that has been formulated to not hurt/destroy the grass.
Japanese beetles are a big pest. I have decided that the traps are worthless because they are based on lure technology. That is, they put out a scent that the beetles find attractive, the beetles then come to the trap, climb in and can't get out. Last year we had a terrible infestation. After I put up the traps my neighbors had almost no beetles because they were all flocking to my yard to get to the attractive smelling (to them) trap. So this year I am going back to the knock-them-into-a-pail-of-soapy-water method. Not pleasant or fun but it does work. Hope this helps.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?