Frugal Fitness: Top 20 Benefits of Exercise
by Greg Landry, M.S. Exercise Physiologist
- Elevates your metabolism so that you burn more calories everyday.
- Increases your aerobic capacity (fitness level). This gives you the ability to go through your day with less relative energy expenditure. This enables a "fit" person to have more energy at the end of the day and to get more accomplished during the day with less fatigue.
- Maintains, tones, and strengthens your muscle. Exercise also increases your muscular endurance.
- Decreases your blood pressure.
- Increases the oxidation (breakdown and use) of fat.
- Increases HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Makes the heart a more efficient pump by increasing stroke volume.
- Increases hemoglobin concentration in your blood. Hemoglobin is part of the red blood cell that carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
- Decreases the tendency of the blood to clot in the blood vessels. This is important because small clots traveling in the blood are often the cause of heart attacks and strokes.
- Increases the strength of the bones.
- Causes the development of new blood vessels in the heart and other muscles.
- Enlarges the arteries that supply blood to the heart.
- Decreases blood levels of triglycerides (fat).
- Improves control of blood sugar.
- Improves sleep patterns.
- Increases the efficiency of the digestive system which may reduce the incidence of colon cancer.
- Increases the thickness of cartilage in joints which has a protective effect on the joints.
- Decreases a woman's risk of developing endometriosis by 50%.
- Increases the amount of blood that flows to the skin making it look and feel healthier.
- Exercise, in addition to all the physiological and anatomical benefits, just makes you feel GREAT!
Author and exercise physiologist, Greg Landry, M.S., publishes a FREE email newsletter, "Fitness, Health, & Weight Loss". To start your free subscription, send any email message, mailto:Fitnessemail@example.com or visit http://www.Landry.com. For more information on weight training, email Top18@Landry.com
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Are there any good generic dog food brands?
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Keeping your kids well-clothed for less
- Fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- Kids' parties: Keeping the expenses down while turning up the fun
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator