About Gardening: Composting Horse Manure
by Mira Dessy
I've got a question about composting horse manure We just recently were offered free horse "poop" for our garden, which we took advantage of. We laid it on top of our raised beds, and topped that with alfalfa that wasn't high enough quality for their horses to eat. Within one week the manure was lovely "black gold". At the same time, a good friend of mine said to watch out because of e coli. bacteria. She sent me several websites to check out information, but so far all I'm finding is information about COW manure (fresh). Can you help this suburban farmer? I've already been planting in this stuff and everything's coming up really well.
I had not heard any negative press about E. Coli and horse manure. I think the best thing would be to call the department of Agriculture in your area to see if they have any information about this. Two big cautions about using horse manure though. First, you need to make sure that it is well aged. Usually it is mixed with stable shaving and urine and is very strong and can burn the garden because of all of the ammonia in the urine. Second, in my experience I usually get more weeds out of horse manure than I do out of cow manure unless I really compost it well.
If you have a question for Mira, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. She's able to answer many of them personally.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?