How Much Gas Is Enough?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband and I were discussing various ideas about the optimum time to refill the gas tank. He says when it's half gone, I say two gallons left is plenty. We've heard that it's good to have at least half a tank in one car in case of an emergency, but I searched all over the net and couldn't come up with any reason to keep more than a gallon or so in the tank except in a very cold winter condensation situation. Do you know any "rules" and sources?
This is what my father taught me years ago, "Bob, Always fill up your gas tank at 1/4 full." well, being a youngster at the time I didn't listen to his wise words and after a while of sucking the gunk off the bottom of the tank, I needed to get my carb rebuilt. Also, the gas gauge of my old beater was not very accurate, and so after having to push it several miles a few times, I learned the wisdom of his words!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?