How Much Gas Is Enough?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My husband and I were discussing various ideas about the optimum time to refill the gas tank. He says when it's half gone, I say two gallons left is plenty. We've heard that it's good to have at least half a tank in one car in case of an emergency, but I searched all over the net and couldn't come up with any reason to keep more than a gallon or so in the tank except in a very cold winter condensation situation. Do you know any "rules" and sources?
This is what my father taught me years ago, "Bob, Always fill up your gas tank at 1/4 full." well, being a youngster at the time I didn't listen to his wise words and after a while of sucking the gunk off the bottom of the tank, I needed to get my carb rebuilt. Also, the gas gauge of my old beater was not very accurate, and so after having to push it several miles a few times, I learned the wisdom of his words!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?