The Frugal Decorator: Make a Valance...from Your Tablecloth
by Leah Wynne
If you have a window in a room that doesn't need privacy, you can make a simple stationary treatment that's inexpensive but gorgeous. You need a tablecloth to fit your window, or that's a little larger. You can use any tablecloth, but I think lace is the most beautiful. You also need a 1" x 2" or 1" board that runs the width of your window. Staple or thumbtack the tablecloth edge to the backside of the board. No need to gather ruffles or pleats, just make sure it's straight, flat and even; and that it covers the boards from end to end.
About 10-15-20" in from each end, staple or thumbtack a piece of co-ordinating or contrasting ribbon. The ribbon needs to be long enough to hang down about 10" and wrap around, so as to hold your fabric. Put your tablecloth through the ribbon and adjust and play with it until it pleats and hangs nicely.
Hang your board on your window using small metal L-shaped brackets available at hardware stores. This treatment is simple, inexpensive and looks great.
Leah works part-time at a home-decorating store and practices frugal living on a daily basis.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?