The Frugal Decorator: Make a Valance...from Your Tablecloth
by Leah Wynne
If you have a window in a room that doesn't need privacy, you can make a simple stationary treatment that's inexpensive but gorgeous. You need a tablecloth to fit your window, or that's a little larger. You can use any tablecloth, but I think lace is the most beautiful. You also need a 1" x 2" or 1" board that runs the width of your window. Staple or thumbtack the tablecloth edge to the backside of the board. No need to gather ruffles or pleats, just make sure it's straight, flat and even; and that it covers the boards from end to end.
About 10-15-20" in from each end, staple or thumbtack a piece of co-ordinating or contrasting ribbon. The ribbon needs to be long enough to hang down about 10" and wrap around, so as to hold your fabric. Put your tablecloth through the ribbon and adjust and play with it until it pleats and hangs nicely.
Hang your board on your window using small metal L-shaped brackets available at hardware stores. This treatment is simple, inexpensive and looks great.
Leah works part-time at a home-decorating store and practices frugal living on a daily basis.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?