End of an Oil Pump?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Chevy Astro Van that I purchased new; it has 100,000 miles on it. I have taken extremely good care of it and have had no serious problems at all, just routine maintenance. However, I have recently noticed something that concerns me. My oil pressure gauge is showing that I am not holding a constant pressure. At first when idling it would run very low and when cruising at various speeds it would run high. At that point I replaced the oil pressure sensor and it no longer indicated high pressure when running. It appears normal at cruising speed now. My problem is when I need to stop and the engine idles. The oil pressure gauge shows a low pressure reading and there is a slight indication that the engine is not running at its normal idle speed. I have had no problems but this does not seem right. I change my oil and filter regularly but the pressure continues to run low when at an idle. Could the timing be off? Do I need to replace the oil pump?
Well, if the engine is operating normally and it is at the correct idle speed, then I would think that either the oil pump is getting tired, or there may be a plugged journal somewhere. That motor may have an external oil pump, so it may not be so bad to change it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: AskBob@stretcher.com. He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?