End of an Oil Pump?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Chevy Astro Van that I purchased new; it has 100,000 miles on it. I have taken extremely good care of it and have had no serious problems at all, just routine maintenance. However, I have recently noticed something that concerns me. My oil pressure gauge is showing that I am not holding a constant pressure. At first when idling it would run very low and when cruising at various speeds it would run high. At that point I replaced the oil pressure sensor and it no longer indicated high pressure when running. It appears normal at cruising speed now. My problem is when I need to stop and the engine idles. The oil pressure gauge shows a low pressure reading and there is a slight indication that the engine is not running at its normal idle speed. I have had no problems but this does not seem right. I change my oil and filter regularly but the pressure continues to run low when at an idle. Could the timing be off? Do I need to replace the oil pump?
Well, if the engine is operating normally and it is at the correct idle speed, then I would think that either the oil pump is getting tired, or there may be a plugged journal somewhere. That motor may have an external oil pump, so it may not be so bad to change it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?