End of an Oil Pump?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1991 Chevy Astro Van that I purchased new; it has 100,000 miles on it. I have taken extremely good care of it and have had no serious problems at all, just routine maintenance. However, I have recently noticed something that concerns me. My oil pressure gauge is showing that I am not holding a constant pressure. At first when idling it would run very low and when cruising at various speeds it would run high. At that point I replaced the oil pressure sensor and it no longer indicated high pressure when running. It appears normal at cruising speed now. My problem is when I need to stop and the engine idles. The oil pressure gauge shows a low pressure reading and there is a slight indication that the engine is not running at its normal idle speed. I have had no problems but this does not seem right. I change my oil and filter regularly but the pressure continues to run low when at an idle. Could the timing be off? Do I need to replace the oil pump?
Well, if the engine is operating normally and it is at the correct idle speed, then I would think that either the oil pump is getting tired, or there may be a plugged journal somewhere. That motor may have an external oil pump, so it may not be so bad to change it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?