About Gardening: A Sick Rose Bush
by Mira Dessy
I recently stumbled onto this fabulous web site and found your column. My sister gave me a rose bush for my birthday in April and I do not have a green thumb. All the leaves on the rose bush turned black and fell off. I have maybe 10 leaves left on it. I looked to see if there were any bugs on it and there were not! I sprayed it with my 409 glass and surface cleaner--because I use that to kill the ants that come into my house. Still the leaves are withering and turning black. (With kids around I hesitate to use anything stronger.) Is there a natural remedy that I can use that you know of to keep the leaves from turning black on my rose bush? Any help would be appreciated.
Kathy in Canton, Ohio
I don't know what sort of infection you have on your rose bush but I suspect it is some form of fungus. The best bet is to go to your local nursery and see what they have that will cure it. Although I prefer natural remedies, I find that for fungal infections I usually have more luck with chemicals than with organic solutions. But that is only my personal experience perhaps there is another reader out there who has an organic answer for you.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?