Plastic Water Lines: OK?
by Sherm Turner
I am buying a new house without copper water piping. Instead they are using a pipe called polybutyl. (this word may not be spelled correct) Is this good or bad?
-- New Home Owner
Dear Home Owner,
PVC plastic schedule #40 pipe is okay for drainage, waste, and vents. I will not recommend installing plastic water lines inside new houses because of its lack of durability and because of weather considerations. For the record I will only recommend copper water lines.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?