Plastic Water Lines: OK?
by Sherm Turner
I am buying a new house without copper water piping. Instead they are using a pipe called polybutyl. (this word may not be spelled correct) Is this good or bad?
-- New Home Owner
Dear Home Owner,
PVC plastic schedule #40 pipe is okay for drainage, waste, and vents. I will not recommend installing plastic water lines inside new houses because of its lack of durability and because of weather considerations. For the record I will only recommend copper water lines.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: email@example.com.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?