Plastic Water Lines: OK?
by Sherm Turner
I am buying a new house without copper water piping. Instead they are using a pipe called polybutyl. (this word may not be spelled correct) Is this good or bad?
-- New Home Owner
Dear Home Owner,
PVC plastic schedule #40 pipe is okay for drainage, waste, and vents. I will not recommend installing plastic water lines inside new houses because of its lack of durability and because of weather considerations. For the record I will only recommend copper water lines.
Sherm Turner is a Master Plumber with over 30 years experience. "Ask the Master Plumber" is his way of encouraging people to help the disabled, elderly, handicapped and children. If you have a question for Sherm, email it to him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.