Computer Aided Shed Designs
COPYRIGHT 1998 G.G. ALONZY
I was wondering if you know of a freeware or shareware CAD package that's available for downloading. What I would like to do with it, is draw up plans for building a tool shed for my back yard. The program doesn't have to be fancy, just easy to run.
I have personally found that using a computer can add more frustration to a small project than help. I admit it... learning a new program can be fun! At the same time, it is not always necessary to reinvent the wheel!
There are many books that have plans available. Pick one close to the dream tool shed you want and modify it, rather than starting from scratch. Use your local library to search books and back issues of home improvement magazines. Some mags have annual indexes. Your library may even be able to search their archives by topic to help you locate the right articles.
One really good reason to use a pre-made plan is the designers have already done the hard work... designing a structure that won't blow over with the first good gust of wind! A CAD program will not do this for you.
Depending on the size of the structure you envision, you may need to contact your local building inspector. Be sure your structure conforms to local codes... they are designed to establish a consistent level of structural safety for all buildings in your community. OK... we are not into promoting bureaucracy here, but most building codes are not tools of social engineering, just an aid to our survival and safety!
Hope this is helpful! Good luck and email or fax us a photo of your shed when you're done. Love to see it!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?